Saturday, October 5, 2013

Chile (Country #20)




In order to get to the end of the world you have to pass through Chile making it my 20th and final country of this leg of the trip In fact making the final run becomes quite a busy day with two border crossings and one ferry.

The sign reads Route of the end of the world
In order to get to the Island of Tierra del Fuego you must exit Argentina then enter Chile and 80 km later reverse the order placing you back in Argentina.

Fred loaded and ready to go
This final ferry crossing was surreal for me. I remember as a kid in geography class talking about the Straits of Magellan. If I had paid better attention back then I might have remembered how damn far south they were and not attempted this. 


And never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I would be crossing them on a motorcycle.



Leaving the mainland across the straits. 
Look on a map and you will see how far down they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment