Sunday, May 26, 2013

From beauty to beast


As I was leaving the town of La Higuera to my final destination of the day Villa Serrano. I was on top of the world looking down.


It was a beautiful day the sun was shinning and the views were spectacular.


But in the back of my mind I was replaying the words of warning from the hostel owner "the next 100km will take you at least 5 hours". I will admit I was confused as the road was rough, but 5 hours? Common.


Then it hit me as I realized the old saying of what goes up must come down!


Two days prior too my departure while still in Samaipata it rained extremely hard. Guess what happens to rain when it starts at the top of a mountain.

If you guessed it flows downhill congratulations. 
End of the line

Yup, this is the actual road
One of numerous mudslides engulfing the road
When I got to the valley the road turned into one wash out after another.


This now turned the next 70 km of road into a beast from hell. And by far the worst road I have driven  to date. It made my Peru off road excursion look like a day in the park.


It became kilometre after kilometer of crawling the bike through either deep washed out mud. Or kilometres of slippery red clay

And because of this relentless kilometre after kilometre of crawling with the clutch. Fred became disabled 18km from our final destination at approximately 2pm. Now what the F%$#&* am I going to do!

Watch the video to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment