Tuesday, February 11, 2014

When it rains it pours


Seems that there is a good reason for these signs in Queensland and Northern Australia. I really had no intention to be driving the East Coast and Northern territory during the rainy season. But I have decided to try and catch the next boat to East Timor at the end of March. 

Just one of many water crossings I made that day
Now just because the signs say certain sections are open, conditions can change rapidly. This is cyclone/monsoon season and when it rains it rains real hard. 
I ended up riding for 4 hours through monsoon rain and was soaked to the bone. All I cared about was, would I be able to make it through the next flood crossing on the highway. 
As the day went on the crossings continued to get deeper and I did not want to be stuck in the middle of a flood zone. 


Finally had to pull over into a motel (my camping days are now officially over in Australia). Also the back road routes I had planned for in the North are no longer possible due to the flooding rivers and impassible mud roads.


After the rain the scenary is extra green. 


The soaking wet trip was worth it as I arrived in the resort town of Airlie Beach.


Semi tropical land and beautiful beaches along the Great Barrier Reef.  But notice how the beaches are empty?


It seems that there are some nasty little critters in the water. Getting stung by one of these can have some very bad consequences to your day or life. Seems they are at their worst from November to April and we are currently in February so a few months to go.


Due to the Box Jellyfish issue Airlie Beach created a beautiful man made lagoon  for tourist and locals to enjoy.

Well off to do laundry......It seems certain things you just can't get away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment