Saturday, December 7, 2013

Unstable weather = Impromptu Camping

To start this segment I thought I would note some of the differences here in Aussie land.  Of course the biggest change is that they drive on the left had side of the road. So to not kill myself by driving into the wrong lane (bad idea especially on a motorcycle). I created a few acronyms to say to myself when approaching intersections.

Left turn Inside lane (LI)
Right turn Outside lane (RO)

Now it may seem silly but it can get confusing after driving your whole life on the right had side of the road. It is so ingrained in us subconsciuosly you don't think twice about it. 

Also when walking down the sidewalk do you walk on the left hand side?

Some terms they use

Mac'ers (McDonalds)
Flat white (coffee with cream)
Petrol (Gasoline)
Rubbish (Garbage)

Fitzroy Falls
The weather has been less than desirable for my travels down the coast. Talking to locals it has been a very unstable and colder/wetter than normal start to summer.


I had a plan to camp out in Mallacoota, Victoria along the ocean but the weather had a different idea. I was forced to find shelter early as a heavy rainfall was ready to hit. And as always things seem to work out just in time for me.


I was fortunate enough to stop at a road side rest stop just as the rain started. The choice was to put on my rain gear and drive the remaining 50km in the rain, or setup on the side of the highway. 


As always if you just go with the flow (or really don't care what happens) and remain flexible when travelling like this, things just work out. This spot actually worked out better than a campground because I had a solid roof to set my tent up under.


Chilling and reading a book with a good cup of coffee (or should I say a flat white) while remaining completely dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment