Thursday, June 27, 2013

Boiled Cockroaches anyone?

At first glance if you are like me you would think these are cockroaches. But upon closer inspection you will discover they are pine nuts.


Adriano at the motorcycle hostel in Foz do Iguacu decided to treat me too a common snack of Brazil.


There are two ways it seems to prepare these. One is by boiling in a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes and the other is roasting them on a fire. 


I had to look them up on the internet as I was unsure what kind of nut they were. It seems that Brazil has giant pine cones that are 1 to 2 feet long! And from these you get the pine nut. 
Go figure!


I think I finally figured out that my GPS has a special route setting just for me. And it proved itself once again on my ride from Foz do Iguacu to Bonito.


Brazil has all kinds of beautiful highways and yet my GPS seems to find the most challenging roads possible.


So once again I find myself for 60 kms slipping, sliding and crossing questionable bridges.


But as usual these backroads produce some of the best scenery and wildlife. In 60 kms I saw a family of Monkeys, Toucans, the Brazilian Rhea (looks similar to an Emu) and hundreds of giant termite hills.


So even though these roads can be stressful at times. They always have a way of equalizing out the good with the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment