Friday, February 8, 2013

Taffy and Tremors

Well once again my bed was rocking in the middle of the night and it wasn't due to me getting lucky. It seems that they get earthquake tremors here in Banos as well.  Twice I was woken up in the middle of the night by a deep rumbling sound and my bed shaking. 

At least the active volcano didn't blow up while I was there.


There are two main reasons I was told you go to visit Banos. Reason one is to have some of their delicious taffy called Melcocha made from sugar cane. Along the streets you can see locals working the taffy by stretching it out on wooden dowels. Once ready it is made into various shapes and sizes for consumption. 


Reason number two is to visit the steaming thermal baths (remember the active volcano). One of the most popular baths/pools is right in town, so I grabbed my shorts and a towel and headed on down. When I arrive there was a hugh lineup outside so I figured I would go take a look around before I went in. And am I glad I did!

I found steps leading up to a viewing tower where I got a free peek at what would have been in store for me if I had entered.


Seems that these thermal baths have seen some better days and are in much need of some repairs. 


I'm sorry but the colour of the water does not look too inviting to me. I was envisioning something aqua blue with hot steam rising in the air (and of course the odd babe in a bikini). But once again I fell into my own trap by creating an expectation. I must remember to head the words of my tattoo No Expectations, which leads to no disappointment.


The local pool is closed as well which could be due to it being winter and a tad chilly here at altitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment