Thursday, October 4, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me


You would think driving around the world by motorcycle would be enough of an adrenaline rush and challenge! But it seems I still have the need to push that limit further. So when I came across an ad from CNN promoting the # 2 must try event on a thrill seekers bucket list I had to sign up.

 And besides what better way to celebrate my birthday!



Welcome to the world of extreme boarding on the volcano Cerro Negro located just outside of Leon, Nicaragua.

If you look at the picture carefully you can see the path you slide down from the top. One board, one mountain and no brakes! It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen.

And yes it is that damn high!


Requirements:

Hike 45 minutes to the top of a 2100 ft black volcano in 35 degree weather carrying a homemade sled with a piece of sheet metal riveted to the bottom.

Put on you’re hi tech protective orange jumpsuit with goggles. Because of course this soft cotton fabric suit will protect you from razor sharp lava rock. NOT!

Get your two-minute instructions on how to control a piece of wood sliding down a hill at up to 90 km. (Which really means you have no control of the board and just hope it stays pointed straight down the hill the whole way otherwise crash time)

Sit on the board and grab the little rope handle and lean back as far as possible to gain as much speed as your stupidity allows you to handle.

 Pretty much says why I crashed! Can you say out of control.
Did I mention there are no brakes or steering!!!!!




I survived but not without wounds as I tried to beat the current record of 90 kph, but crashed halfway down. This left me with cuts, scrapes and bruises along with lava rock jammed in my mouth, eyes, ears and nose.



No comments:

Post a Comment